Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Illegal Aliens



I have been thinking lately about illegals and our attitude as Christians toward them. I mean they are here illegally and we as Christians certainly can't go along with anything illegal ... it just isn't right. Sure they are consuming resources, costing us money, and causing trouble but that is not the real problem for us benevolent Christians. They are here illegally and we just can't turn a blind eye to such glaring illegality.

I was reading in Malachi today and ran across the following:

Mal 3:5 And I will come near you to judgment. And I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those who extort from the hired laborer's wages, and turning away the widow, and the orphan, the alien, and not fearing Me, says Jehovah of Hosts.

God seems to have a thing about how His people treat (and I assume feel and talk about) aliens. But this was written a long time ago and the Holy Spirit couldn't have known the struggle (not to mention high cost) a nice upstanding country like the USA would be having with illegal aliens. I mean all that stuff about turning the other cheek and such would certainly have been written differently if the Holy Spirit could have foreseen that people would have been entering the USA illegally. Feeding homeless and orphans and widows would certainly have been modified to "if they are in the country legally" if the Holy Spirit had been able to foresee the situation. I'm sure that is what He meant to say ... He just didn't have our troublesome situation in mind when He was doling out all those benevolent instruction. As a Christian country, one founded on His name and principals, we definitely need to draw a line in the sand on this illegal alien issue ... it's a matter of principal.


I'm feeling much better about our attitude now. I wonder in how many other areas of scriptural instruction the Holy Spirit lacked foresight into our modern day situation. I'm thinking plenty. I'll be busy for awhile adjusting my Bible to fit our more timely issues that God would not and could not have expected to happen.

Busy Bee/BigHugeThing,

No comments: